Friday, March 28, 2008

"You're not a hippie, you're an activist."


That's what a co-worker told me last night at work. This is the same co-worker after we took a little personality test for fun, put my name down in association with the color green because he said I care about the environment and green is the new term associated with it.

I don't hide my shame about caring for the environment, I believe every little bit helps. I pick up trash when I'm walking and put it into the trash. Imagine if we all picked up one piece of trash a day, wouldn't the results be amazing? Now, you may not see them, but nationally it would make a big impact. I also pick up empty cans if I see them in order to recycle; California pays almost $2 a pound for aluminum cans, so now we collect them for our trips to Cali. Why not get a little cash for some empty cans some inconsiderate person just dumped on the sidewalk?
I also traded all of my lightbulbs for the energy-efficient ones when I moved into my house and I try to use environmentally-friendly cleaning products as much as possible.

I yell at my parents when I visiting and CRINGE when a can, plastic bottle, etc goes in the trash. They said they were going to order a recycle bin, I should call tonight to see if they finally got around to it!!
People don't realize how easy it is to recycle and your trash can would not be as full! My brother and sister-in-law are also big into the environment as well. They share a car between them, they have a manual push mower instead of a gas-guzzling, polluting one, and they recycle. My roommate busses it around Tucson; he hasn't had a car in years. This not only saves him a ton of cash (no insurance, upkeep, payments, gas, etc) but really great for the environment.
It's not hard as one would think to think about the planet, it's really not difficult at all!! Little baby steps are the best way to begin, I think once you start it becomes addicting and you want to find out what you can do to make a difference.
Send me your ideas and tips...what do you do to help the environment?

No comments: