Monday, March 31, 2008

Inspiration: Donna Freedman


Now that the US is in a recession (depending on who you talk to), it is interesting how many articles are coming out about being frugal; it makes me laugh. Some of us have been doing this for a long time! But nonetheless, I'd love to see Americans make a dramatic change in their lives in order to pay off their debt, live simple, and avoid credit cards.

After logging off my email account, an article on living frugally caught my eye (naturally) and so after reading it, I found another article that had me thinking. The title is, "Surviving (and thriving) on $12,000 a year." WHAT?! $12,000 a year? $1,000 a month to cover all my expenses? And mind you, this is a woman who is going back to school. She even tithes $20 a month to church. WOW. She is my hero.

Could you do it? $1,000 a month to cover rent, utilities, car, gas, food, unexpected expenses? I don't think I could, I don't spend a lot of money, but I sure as heck LIKE having the money to spend it in case I need to. Well then, who doesn't? I'm sure Donna doesn't like living so frugally, but I'm sure it has really put her priorities in line and once she's done with school she'll have more money. I can promise you this, she will only tithe more, continue to live frugally, and have an enriched life, as she obviously does now.

Check out the article, leave your comments. Donna is an inspiration, we could all learn a lesson from her experiences.

I challenge you this week:

  • Find a charity this month and donate some money. I'm trying to pay off my debts but if Donna can do it, so can I. My favorite charities are the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and the National Anti-Vivisection Society.

  • Cut back on your food expenses, cook at home this week 3 times.

  • Lower your gas consumption. With gas being so high, walk to the grocery store this week. The weather is getting nicer and this is a simple way to save money and help your health.

Image courtesy of: http://howwilliberich.com

No comments: