Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mom's B-day: Ideas?

So tomorrow is my Mom's birthday and I don't know what to get her. This woman has more than what she could ever ask for so I'm NOT going to buy her some jewelry (when she has 3 huge jewelry boxes full) or anything else to clutter up her house. I had discussed with my sister buying some flowers for my mom because they are purple (one of her fave colors) and has Disney's Tinkerbell in them. They're a little over $60.00 total so we'd each be spending a little over $30; I thought it would be a nice surprise for her. Well, tomorrow is her birthday and I'm still on the fence. With this being the paycheck closest to rent, I am very limited on any extra spending so I'm still deciding what to do. (My family is notoriously late with everything so it's not a huge deal if she doesn't get it by tomorrow!)

Because my parents said they're trying to get focused on their debt, I thought a few PF books would be good for them. Even though my parents are fans of Suze Orman (maybe it's an age thing?) I'm a big fan of Mary Hunt. Last month I devoured Debt-Proof Living and am in the process of finishing Debt-Proof Your Marriage so I thought maybe the latter would be a good present for her; she told me she would like to have the book.

What do you think? Should I send her the book for her birthday or does that seem...what's the word...lame? Should I spend the $30 on flowers for her?

I don't know what to do! I thought the flowers would be a nice surprise but at the same time they won't be clutter when they're gone; the book on the other hand could perhaps jump start them and get them excited about focusing on their finances.

No comments: