Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ooh, a good find!


Yesterday I was perusing the local used bookstore, one of my favorite places to check out on my lunch break. Since I am broke broke broke due to my lovely speeding ticket and I had store credit, I figured I'd go see what I could find. I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for books on Lucille Ball or I Love Lucy, and what do you know, I found one yesterday. Yay!

Anyway, I was just looking around and I found this small (about 5"x9") orange hardback book on a shelf and picked it up. The American Frugal Housewife. Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy. By Mrs. Child. It is basically a book full of tips, hints, ideas, and wisdom about being frugal (or economy) and the mindset that frugality is nothing to be ashamed of. :)

On the back cover it states that this book was first published in 1828 was was an extremely popular nineteenth-century manual for homemakers. Apparently Mrs. Child was an early feminist (hooray) and abolitionist who supported her family as a writer, a pamphleteer, and an editor.

The cool thing is, you can still buy this book as it is still being published, mine is the 12th edition hardback. It's on Amazon for $9.95. You can also find it in softback if you so prefer, I kind of like my old-school manual myself.

As I find little nuggets of information that I feel are important, I will post them, with or without commentary. I hope you enjoy; even though it is 181 years later, I think we can all learn a little wisdom from this book.

No comments: