Friday, March 27, 2009

$100 dollar bills = less spending?

Image source
I had a really nice antique armoire that I had acquired when I lived in England. When I moved to my current home, I sold it because I simply didn't have the space. The woman I sold it to was amazingly sweet so I was pleased that my piece of furniture was going to be in her care. Anyway, when she paid me, she paid me in $50 bills. It has been almost a year now and I still have one of the $50 bills. It's not easy to spend. If boyfriend and I need some quick cash for pizza or a few groceries, I just don't even consider using it. What is my point here? Well, there is an article in TIME magazine about carrying around $100 bills in order NOT to spend money. Sound bass ackwards? Yeah, a little bit. But from my experience, it does work. Heck, even $20 bills aren't fun to break because you know once you break them, they're easier to spend.


I'm all about what TIME is trying to say here, but at the same time, I'm not all that comfortable with carrying large amounts of cash on me. If you can apply this to your home though and keep some cash around (in a secure place) for emergency purposes, I think you'll find that the theory works.


Let me know: Do you carry around large bills so that you won't spend money? What methods do you use to avoid spending money?

No comments: