Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Weekend shenanigans

Whew! It is good to be back in Tucson after a nice 4 day weekend of camping in the California desert, but geez, it wasn't an easy trip!

It all began when boyfriend asked if I brought the credit card with me in case of an emergency. Mistake #1. He jinxed us! Shortly after we had a massive flat on the trailer and of course, our spare was flat too. Nice. So we whimpered to a gas station to fill it up. I took a nap and woke up to the engine knocking. And it was loud. So we got into Yuma and called our friend to see if we would be okay to continue in. Luckily we made it to Cali and went to our friends' house and he couldn't figure out what the problem with it was. We drove to the desert and forgot about it til we left. We decided to leave the truck and trailer at our friends' house because they know some really good diesel mechanics that can diagnosis and fix the problem without ripping us off. Off to rent a car...

I reserved a car in an airport as small as my cubicle and that hasn't been updated since about 1972 and go to pick it up. Well, because I didn't have a credit card on me, they run my debit card through and do a credit check. Problem was that I have fraud protection on my account and so the credit check wouldn't go through...and they can only run my card through ONCE. So they could clear up the credit check problem but can't run my card through for another 24 hours. And there is no other way to pay for this car. At all. (And no, they would not let me get on the phone with my bank to get authorization to run my credit card through.) I storm out all upset and starving and hungry (which is not a good thing) and have no clue what to do. Luckily the guy ran out and said that the other rental company might have a car that we can use on a one-way to Tucson. They have the same policy as the other one, of swiping the card once and running a credit check but we were lucky and it went through. Whew. Had it not, I don't know what the heck we would have done. After an hour of all of this nonsense, I finally got a car. Whew. And I got to go home, finally. *Moral of story, never, ever forget a credit card when going on a trip.*

Anyway, I would post pictures of our trip but my camera got SOAKED in my bag when we were hunting for geodes and I got about 3 whole pictures of our trip. Great. Luckily after we got home, I charged the battery and the camera is now working. Thank goodness. WHAT A TRIP for sure.

I don't know what is wrong with the truck yet, but I'm praying that it is cheap to fix. This truck is just a money pit..

Anyway, it was a great weekend in the desert. The girls had a blast and we went running a few days that we were out there. It was nice to spend time with old friends and get away from the world for a few days. I keep looking at the calendar thinking that I only have a few more weeks at this place until I'm in Dallas. This makes me both sad and happy. I don't really want to move yet, but I don't think I have much of a choice unless I find a new job...

No comments: