Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Less than a week to go...

I start my new job on Monday, the 4th, which is my Dad's birthday. I am so excited to say the least. I have two weeks of training before I can start work. The pay is a HUGE cut from my last position but I have a feeling that I will love this job so much more that it as long as my bills are being paid, it won't matter.

My mom and I have been talking about this.. What determines success? Is it the amount of money you make? My definition of success is having job satisfaction--doing what you love and being good at what you do. My uncle on the other hand looks at me with disappointment because here I have a Masters degree but I'm not out doing sales or another job "where the money is". I don't get it. Having a lot of money would be fantastic..but what good would it be if I were miserable all of the time? Isn't coming home at night being grateful for what you have worth more money? To me it is... I'm going to be working with individuals of our community who do are struggling just to get by DAILY. They're going to have a variety of things that they're dealing with.. substance abuse, getting/keeping a job, mental illness, oh yeah, and HOMELESSNESS. What greater reward is it to use my time on this Earth than to help others?

So, readers, your turn. How do YOU define success?

No comments: