Friday, February 13, 2009

Fundraisers: Do you participate?

My little 8 year old godson, L, is participating in the Jump Rope for Heart for his school (in honor of his late Great Grandfather whom his middle name was named after) My BFF in Florida emailed me asking if I could help him out a little bit. Of course! He's my baby and while I haven't seen him since 2005 or 2006 (it's been so long I can't even remember!), I always try to help out when I can. I have three godsons, L, is the middle child; their mother always them to participate in only two fundraisers per year, and only ones in which they feel are important. Personally, I think this is a good policy--only allow children to do participate in things about which they are passionate.

I had asked her when the money was do by and how much he had raised so far. Her answer? None. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid about how people are struggling right now but at the same time, I think we should slow down and appreciate that we're all healthy. It just makes me sad that L asks his mom everyday if anyone has donated any money, her response? Not yet hunny. If you've ever seen the Disney movie Chicken Little, then you know what L looks like. Imagine this sweet face all sad and disappointed.


So I talked to BF, my mom, and the ex, they all helped chip in and we got a nice tidy sum for him and we even surpassed his computer fundraising goal. :) I know he's going to be excited to hear his name called at the presentation and know that he did what he could.

So, when it comes down to it, do you participate in fundraisers like these? Do you allow your children to participate in fundraisers at school? Do you support your friends' children or your nieces and nephews? Do any of you have a policy on what you donate to and what you don't?

No comments: