Monday, April 27, 2009

Healthy life..Happy life


My mom is really depressed. Sometimes she'll tell me she thinks she has nothing to be happy about in her life. I call her bluff and give her a laundry list of positives:

  1. She has a job (a good paying job, no less).
  2. She has a beautiful home that she is able to afford.
  3. She is healthy despite being overweight..she doesn't have any major health problems yet.
  4. She has a great marriage and relationship with my dad. 38 years this August!
  5. She has great kids who are doing well and are happy.
My mom likes to counter this with her list of negatives. We won't get into those but let's just say, she's being a tad bit over reactive. I think a lot of her negativity stems from her weight. My mom is a tall lady, 5'10" and is EXTREMELY beautiful for her age. Her skin is flawless. Honestly, she is one of the main reasons why I wear sunscreen, I want to look like her in 30 years. She is a beautiful beautiful woman.

When I got married in 2001, Mom and I went on a major lifestyle overhaul for the wedding. We started working out faithfully and eating healthy. By the time I got married, we both were smokin' hot. Ever since I've moved from home, my mom's weight has been gradually increasing. When my mom is heavy, she's unhappy and it consumes her life. She just can't say no to food. I tell her all the time that I want her to be around for her future grandkids, that I need her around and she knows this but she lacks motivation.

To make a long story short, (too late?) my mom needs me at this point in time. I'm afraid that something is going to happen to her and it will be too late. She takes for granted that she is healthy (for now) and that she has her longevity genes on her side. When I move to Texas, I've told her more than once that she is not going to like me anymore. That she is going to get really mad at me for completely rocking her world, but that's too bad. She told me that that is what she wants (boy, she doesn't know what is coming to her).

What I'm driving at is that when you don't look good, when clothes don't fit right, when you feel heavy and unattractive. NOTHING seems right. I'm finally getting my health back on track and let me tell you, waking up everyday is such a pleasure. Lifting up my shirt and checking out my shrinking abs is the coolest thing. Ever. I love that my cheekbones are starting to show, that my thighs are getting thinner, that I have toned shoulders, and that my calves are starting to get more toned as well. When you feel good about yourself and your body...even if you're unemployed with no money coming in, no future job prospect, no boyfriend, and no social life (haha), LIFE is good. And you feel better.

My mom needs that. She deserves that. She deserves to feel good about herself in her older age (57). But, it's not going to be easy. It's going to be a long, hard battle for the two of us (and my Dad who is going to unfortunately witness this battle) but she needs to know that life can be better for her. I've struggled with my weight since I was 11 years old. Wow. 15 years of struggling with weight. Over half of my life. It's only made me a stronger person because I've had to work harder than most people. And I'm okay with that. Please, take care of yourself. Make healthier choices, start exercising, and stop thinking about yourself. Start thinking about the people who love and need you before it's too late. Because there are people out there who care about you and your well-being.

No comments: